Monday, March 28, 2011

What to do when I grow up?

Going through yet another life transition due to a lay off, people often ask me what I would like to do and what kind of job I would really Love to live. I have been a legal secretary, courier, Stay at Home Mom, retail manager, and Administrative Assistant, the latter, many times over. Notice that none of these jobs have anything to do with the Bachelor of Social Work degree I hold. Go figure. I have the smarts for the degree, but none of these "Jobs", with exception of being a full time Mom, have taken me where I know I have wished to go in my heart. My heart has always been with my kids, my animals and in the kitchen. I adore my kids, and have a passion for all things kitchen and animals. I am also a Wanna Be Techie and Blogger. All in all, not exactly what some folks would consider exciting, but to me, to find a way to combine all my passions to make a living and make a difference, would be the "Ultimate".

I have my hat in the ring for a Purina Cat Chow Correspondent position and that would be amazing! I love animals, especially my own cats and dogs, and believe the opportunity to actually work and share news and tips about cats would be perfect! I am also up against 100s of other people for the position, so I will keep on hoping, keep on blogging and see where it may lead. In the meantime, I am enjoying the opportunity to learn new tricks in the kitchen and hopefully, find a way to share my recipes and tips, and market my goodies. I plan on offering an amazing Easter Basket for grown ups. I will share some photos and today, will share my recipe for Easter Bread.

Let's start with a photo of the finished loaf:
Easter Bread



You start the bread by
scalding a cup of low fat milk. Let it cool to 110 degrees.
Stir In 4 tsps. active dry yeast and 1 tsp. sugar
Yeast is So Cool!
Foamy Mix
Let this sit for 5 minutes. The mixture will foam. Cool, huh?

Fit your Mixer with the dough hook attachment. Place flour, salt, cool foamy yeast mixture, butter pieces, 1/2 cup of fine sugar, 2 large eggs, zest of one lemon, dried cherries, golden raisins, and mix well to combine.

Knead with mixer, adding extra flour if necessary, until it starts to pull away from side of the bowl.

Turn this out of the bowl and knead "in the air" to form a big ball of dough. Put in greased bowl, turning to grease both sides, cover with plastic wrap and a dish towel, and put in warm place until doubled in size. (at least an hour)  I usually place it in the laundry room while I am drying clothes and it turns out to be a great warm, environment. Multi-tasking rocks!

After it has doubled, punch the dough down once, (I love that part) and gently separate into 3 or 6 equal pieces (depending on how many loaves you wish to bake). Cover with towel and let them sit for about 5 minutes.

Then roll these pieces into ropes, either 3 twenty inch or 6 fourteen inch, and braid them to form a tightly braided loaf, placed on a parchment paper covered baking sheet. Cover the dough and let rise again, until doubled, in that same warm place.

Once it has doubled, brush with an egg yolk wash, bake at 350 for 30 -40 minutes. Remove from over, cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing. Store in bread bag at room temp. Yummy, slightly sweet bread. Makes amazing french toast. Amazing!!!
Crunchy outside and so soft inside.
The history of Easter Bread changes according to country, but basically, it is a traditional part of the Easter Table to enjoy those items usually given up for lent. It is also baked with all Kosher products in my kitchen and a Jewish friend of mine tells me it is also Challah Bread. Either way, it is yummy and worth the effort.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, so what do I do if I don't have a mixer? Is this something I could knead by hand?

The pictures are wonderful....so nice to have the pictures along with the step by step instructions.

Linda

Susan said...

Linda...It would work best with an electric mixer, but you can do the kneading by hand. That is always fun anyway. :) I will show you how to do it!

Unknown said...

I totally agree with Linda about the photos being a great addition. Thank you, Susan and good luck in your job search and the Purina possibility. Keep loving your kids and the animals. Dawn

Susan said...

Thank you Dawn! I have been enjoying reading your blog too! I am new to this, but having a great time with it! To be able to do this with my passion for cooking and my passion for pets would be amazing!! We are all keeping our fingers and paws crossed around here. Have a fabulous weekend!