Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cupcakes and XBox 360

It has been a little while since my last post. Let me catch you up! I have been busy cooking, baking and trying to switch things up a little bit. So far, it has been a wonderful 2 weeks full of  very enjoyable "social outings", cakes, truffles, toffee, and a bunch of pretty pink cupcakes. Life has been very busy for the past few months, with a lay off, a hip replacement, surgery set backs, pets, and life in general. Cooking has always been my passion, so once I began "self therapy" via the kitchen, everything seems to be brighter around Muffin's house. And it all started with the gift of a Kitchenaid Mixer. Life is good.

With a special family birthday coming up, I decided it was time to spread my culinary wings and try something new.  My oldest son turned 26 in April and I decided to try my first "free hand", special fondant cake. Jason being the avid gamer that he is, I decided it had to be a cake to reflect his passion. This was the result:
XBOX 360 Controller Cake



This was before the black outlines and final details were added to the cake, but I was happy with it for my first attempt. But more importantly, my son was very happy with it. I made my own recipe for Chocolate Marshmallow Fondant and the cake was covered with a crumb coating of homemade chocolate buttercream, then covered with a healthy layer of the chocolate buttercream. All of this yummy chocolate was covering a triple chocolate layer cake. ( The Bomb!) My son shares my love of really good chocolate, so it was a hit! I have to practice every ounce of self control Not to eat gobs and gobs of frosting as I go along, but it is almost impossible for me not to pop pieces of the fondant in my mouth. Edible play dough for grown ups!! If any of you do not think fondant tastes good, you have not tried really good marshmallow fondant. It is irresistible!

The next special event I was asked to help with was the 1st birthday of a very special little girl. Zoey was a miracle baby and to be part of her celebration as both the cupcake baker and a special friend of the family was a blessing and a half. They asked me to go for a Princess Theme full of bright pinks and Princess colors. I gave it my best shot and made red velvet, chocolate filled, lemon filled and vanilla, all with cream cheese and buttercream frostings. I had a blast. I made an attempt at little pink fondant crowns. The weather was wet and rainy for quite a while, so they all didn't dry, but I was able to get a dozen of them made to top some of the pink ones. 
Red Velvet and Lemon Filled Cupcakes


Here was the pre-party table. It was a good time had by all and I was so happy to be able to be a part of it. It was a wonderful day!

I will be updating the week just past very soon. So much is going on and I have hopes and wishes that it will continue to be filled with confections and friends. Till' later...


No comments: